2 days to go and the first ball in 2014 Australian Open will be served.
The draw is done, and as every year there’s a lot to talk about. Who has been lucky? who’s not?
Serena Williams is the obvious number 1 seed, in the first round she will play against the young aussie Ashleigh Barty who’s actually 153rd in wta ranking. Last year Williams lost in 1/4 finals against Sloane Stephens, while Barty lost to Dominika Cibulkova in the first round. It will be a battle of generation, Serena Williams turned pro in 1995, Ashleigh Barty was born in 1996.
After the first round Serena’s path doesn’t seem to be impossible, she could face one between Samantha Stosur or Ana Ivanovic in the 4th round, Sara Errani in 1/4 finals before landing in the 1/2 finals where she is suppose to find Li Na or Petra Kvitova.
Li Na will play the first round against a qualifier, in the 4th round she might play against Wimbledon’s former runner up Sabine Lisicki.
It’s been a tough draw for Sara Errani, in the first round she finds Julia Goerges that after a bad 2013 is actually ranked 73rd but she worth much more. If Errani will make her way until the 3rd round she’ll probabily have to deal with canadian rising star Eugenie Bouchard, then Roberta Vinci or Kirsten Flipkens,before the possible 1/4 finals against the alien also known as Serena Williams.
On the other side Vika Azarenka will have an hard work to do if she wants to keep the title won last year.In the 4th round there is a possible match against the young and talented Sloane Stephens who introduced herself to the world defeating Serena Williams last year.The destiny won’t be brighter in the 1/4 finals where Agnieszka Radwanska might be her oppenent, and then in the 1/2 finals Maria Sharapova.
The draw has been nicer with Sharapova, at her first big tournament after the injury. A first round kinda dangerous against Bethany Mattek-Sands, but after that the russian shouldn’t have much problems until the 1/4 finals where she could find Jelena Jankovic, or even Simona Halep, the real revelation of the last season.
Obsviously this is just theory because the matches needs to be played, and every day something incredible can happen.
TOP TEN’S AUSTRALIAN OPEN RECAP.
1. Serena Williams. Last year: 1/4 finals. Best result: Winner (2003,2005,2007,2009,2010)
2. Victoria Azarenka. Last year: Winner. Best result. Winner (2012,2013)
3. Maria Sharapova. Last year: 1/2 finals. Best result: Winner (2008)
4. Li Na. Last year: Runner up. Best result: Runner up (2011,2013)
5. Agnieszka Radwanska. Last year: 1/4 finals. Best result: 1/4 finals (2008,2011,2012,2013)
6. Petra Kvitova. Last year: 2nd round. Best result: 1/2 finals (2012)
7. Sara Errani. Last year: 1st round. Best result: 1/4 finals (2012)
8. Jelena Jankovic. Last year: 3rd round. Best result: 1/2 final (2008)
9. Angelique Kerber. Last year: 4th round. Best result: 4th round (2013)
10. Caroline Wozniacki. Last year: 4th round. Best result: 1/2 finals (2011)